Friday, May 14, 2010

Jambo from Tanzania!

Well...  Jambo! (hello)  Amsterdam was fun, but Africa is most definately the place I fell in love with before...  Well the people...  It's much greener here compared to  Benin and they grow corn and coffee beans in the local village...  Sakila...  On a clear day we can see Kilimanjaro.  It's beautiful!  The way the light hits the mountain almost makes it like a pop out card!  It rains everyday here even though it is still warm.

I have been helping Mama Jan (Yanee) as they call her in a clinic for the last few days with a man Bariki and a woman named Paulina to translate...  Me and Bariki pre-interview the patients and Mama Jan and Nesi (nurse) Paulina give the meds and dress wounds. Although I did give meds and dress wounds myself, I think I will stick to the pre-interviewing...  :)  There is a medical team that will be coming on the 18th to help.

I got to experience a wedding and it's pretty much an all day celebration here because many people have to wait quite a few years before they get married, so they live it up!  The women dance up and down the isles back and forth making loud noises and shaking their hips way before anyone even gets there!  It's awesome!  one woman wrapped me into dancing down the isles with them and i must say i rather enjoyed it.  Then after they give gifts to the bride and groom and their families..  It's a beautiful celebration.

We eat a lot of maharagi (beans), rice, and chapati (which is kind of like tortillas or thick crepes), and small bananas which also grow all over the village.  It's beautiful here and apparently mama Jan and I look good because we are on the plumper end of the scale...  :)

We went on a safari and I walked amongst the giraffe! The giraffe were walking around outside of the park headed towards peoples houses and we walked with them in the parking lot since they are not fenced in.  I walked amongst the Masai tribe (they typically wear red, blue, lean on sticks, and stretch their ears).

13 more days left and although I am excited to get home and see more loved ones I am having a great time here! Asante sana Baba (thank you father) for bringing me to this wonderful continent again, Amen.

Bedai! (Later!)
AMber

3 comments:

jenny said...

sounds so fun! can't wait to hear all about your adventures!

Keelay said...

Ahhhh I love it!!!!! Sooo hype on the giraffe, that wedding sounded rad too, I miss you knucklehead, I grow more and more proud, and I'm overjoyed to see you happy in a continent so dear to you. Was nice to talk to you yesterday, feel better, jive turkey. Haha miss you dude see you at PDX!!! :)

Mom said...

My dear sweet Amber! I miss you so much but I have comfort knowing you are exactly where God wants you to be! I can't wait till you come home and I get to love on you!!! With all my love and more....Mom